English samplers in the 18th century started to evolve into pictorial art. No longer was a sampler just a pattern record. Samplers of this time began to change with borders, verse and pictorial scenes. A good example of this transformation is the Elizabeth Harrison sampler.
Elizabeth was born in 1778 and finished her sampler in 1786. This sampler has a four sided meandering floral and leaf border. Alone male figure with attire with costume of the time stands flanked by a deer and two large floral urns accented by a small pasture with sheep. Below the lower border "M Campbells School Poulton" is highlighted in navy silk.
Poulton means "town near the pool" defined due to its close proximity to the banks of the river Wyre, and near the coastal plain of Fylde. The town is known historically for its import commercial center and the Thatched House pub existing in 1793. In addition to St. Chad's church, Poulton had several secondary schools. In 1717, wool merchant James Baines left money in his will to found three free schools in the parish: Poulton, Marton, and Thornton. It is believed that M. Cambells private school would have also existed historically in this education system, and more research is required.
This sampler was stitched on 35 count Lambswool. Stitches used are cross, counted satin, four-sided, tent, eyelet, and back stitch. It is recommended for intermediate level needleworkers. The original sampler is in the collection of Historic Handworkes.